I finished my pediatric dental residency three months ago and life is feeling rather surreal. This is the first time in my life that I haven’t been a student and boy does it feel strange. By strange, I really mean freaking amazing!! How the hell did I make it through dental school and residency? I still remember applying to dental school and truly convincing myself that I would never get it in. Sometimes I worry I’ll wake up and it’ll all be dream…
I started life in the real world, aka my first big girl job, a few days after my last day of residency. Talk about jumping right in. As a result, my summer flew by! Time flies when you’re having fun. Hah! Thankfully husband and I were able to take a mini vacation at the end of August. We did a three day cruise to the Bahamas and back. Although it was quick, it was much needed and I am thankful we got the opportunity to go. Not so sure I would do a cruise again, but it was so nice being able to escape life for a few days. I tried to convince husband that we should move to the Bahamas and I could open a practice there. I obvi did not win this argument since I’m currently sitting on my ouch in Ohio.
In the midst of a crazy summer work schedule, I made these Honey Garlic Cornish Hens in the crockpot and they turned out delicious. This is a recipe that I will be making again. You can substitute the Cornish hens for chicken drumsticks, thighs, or breasts. I served these next to some roasted yellow squash and a salad. Try this when you’re looking for a quick, flavorful crockpot recipe!
- 2 Cornish game hens
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional for spice)
1.Place cornish game hens in crockpot.
2.Mix all other ingredients together in a bowl. Pour over hens in crockpot.
3. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
I spent the afternoon/early evening with some friends from work. My face hurts and my side aches from laughing so hard! Today I was reminded of the importance of having quality time with girlfriends. Since moving to Cincinnati I feel like I have not found a solid group of girlfriends. Why is it so much harder to find close friends as an adult?! These ladies are pretty fantastic and every time we get together outside of work it’s a great time! We literally laughed so hard til we cried… or snorted.
We spent the afternoon drinking wine and baking some delicious lemon cupcakes for a work event tomorrow. After multiple bottles of wine we found ourselves watching/ dancing/singing to music videos. Have you seen the new Gwen Stefani music video? #weird. I am now curled up on the couch in pjs watching the Michigan State vs Iowa football game with Husband.
Tonight I am sharing a recipe for Crockpot Bourbon Chicken. I have made this several times and it is always a big hit, not to mention so easy! If you have followed my blog, you know that I LOVE crockpot recipes. I rely on crockpot recipes to help me get through extra busy weeks.
This recipe called for 1/4 cup of bourbon. I used Bulleit bourbon because that’s what we had, but feel free to use any kind you have on hand! You really can taste the bourbon flavor in this recipe.
Add this recipe to your menu this week on a day when you know you will get home late. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup Bourbon
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ⅓ cup apple cider (*or apple juice)
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Mix all sauce ingredients, except for chicken and cornstarch, in a small bowl.
2. Place chicken in slow cooker, pour sauce over top. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3 hours.
3. Remove chicken and chop into bite sized pieces. Strain liquid and place over medium high heat in a small pot. Combine 3 tablespoons water with 3 tablespoons cornstarch. Whisk into boiling sauce along with 1 clove minced garlic. Stir until thickened.
4. Pour over chicken pieces in the slow cooker and stir. Serve over rice.
Check out some of my other crockpot chicken recipes:
Time continues to fly by! How is it already May? Speaking of time flying by, I have officially started my fourth year of dental school! Eeee! It’s a bitter sweet excitement really. Bitter because I have met so many great people in dental school and I am not quite ready to say goodbye, but so so sweet as I have worked so hard to get here. Well… good thing I dont have to deal with these mixed emotions for another year… we’ll just tuck them away for now.
Enough being sentimental and on to a delicious meal!
This is a great crockpot recipe that I have made a couple of times now! I love that all you have to do is throw all the ingredients in the crockpot.
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 1 cup Zesty Italian Dressing
- 1/2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 packet ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 8 ounce can black beans
- 1 medium diced tomato
1. Place all of the ingredients in the crockpot.
2. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
3. Shred chicken and place back in the crockpot for 30 minutes.
4. Serve on hard or soft tacos with shredded cheese, lettuce, tomato, and sour cream.
Greetings from Antarctica, I mean Ohio. It is freaking freezing cold outside! I can’t even stand being outside for 2 minutes with the dogs, my insides start shivering, seriously. Unfortunately, this has resulted in crazy puppies with cabin fever. Dear God, Please please let summer come sooner.
Crazy puppy eyes!
On a brighter note, it’s Restaurant Week here in Columbus! Woohoo! This opportunity comes along 2 times every year and it is awesome! If you are from Columbus and have never participated, then this is your chance! Husband and I have used this as an opportunity to try out new restaurants in the area that we normally wouldn’t go to. I think this time around we are thinking of trying 101 Beer Kitchen or Giorgio’s. Yum!
Moving on to this awesome chicken recipe, it is so simple and so delicious! I especially love it because it’s a quick crockpot recipe that allows you to use what you have, you can’t go wrong here! Don’t be nervous to add/take away spices based on what you already have.
- 2 pounds chicken (This time i used drumsticks, but I have also used boneless, skinless chicken breast)
- 1 bottle or can of your favorite beer (I used some of Husbands home brew beer)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Place all ingredients in the crock pot, and cook on high for 4-5 hrs, or low for 6-8 hrs.
For the curious minds: 143 calories; 3g fat; 1.5g carbohydrates; 23g protein; 0g fiber
Original Recipe from Laa Loosh
This is a delicious crockpot chili recipe that’s highly recommended for lazy football Sunday. Now that football is in full swing, I’m pretty sure every sunday is a lazy football Sunday. We loved the way this chili turned out, it’s a nice spin off the traditional beef chili that I usually make.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 16-oz can black beans
- 1 16-oz can kidney beans
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 10 oz package frozen corn kernels
- 2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground red pepper
- 3- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- chili peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, red pepper, and taco seasoning in a slow cooker.
2. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours.
3. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Add ow fat cheese and sour cream.
For those interested in the nutrition facts (not including shredded cheese/sour cream) : Servings: 10 • Size: 1 1/4 cups Calories: 203.7 • Fat: 1.4 g • Carb: 33.3 g • Fiber: 10.0 g • Protein: 16.9 g
Original Recipe from Skinny Taste
Sometimes when I look back on these crazy weeks that we have I wonder how we really got through them. Last week over a three day span, I totaled 10 hours of sleep… that’s not healthy. But nonetheless, we manage to survive each and every time. (Stay strong Wolfpack!) I am thankful that this upcoming week isn’t looking too bad.
One night last week we had these delicious shredded chicken caeasar sandwiches for dinner. They turned out extra tasty and were so simple to make. It can’t get much easier than this.
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1.5 cup chicken broth/stock
- 1/2 to 1 cup of your favorite Caesar dressing
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 4-6 regular sized hamburger buns
1. Place chicken in a crockpot with 1.5-2 cups of chicken stock, cover and cook on low heat for ~6 hours.
2. Remove chicken from crockpot and place on cutting board. Pull chicken in to shreds.
3. Drain excess chicken stock from crockpot and place chicken back in the crockpot. Add dressing, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and pepper over the top. Stir well. Cover and cook on high heat for 30 minutes or until mixture is hot.
4. Spoon mixture in to each bun. Top with extra shredded Parmesan cheese and lettuce, serve.
The time has come…. I’ve officially scheduled to take part one of boards. Now the pressure is on people! June 20th is the lucky day and as I enter boards hell I will be needing many many more meals like this one. Quick and easy (that’s what she said).
I love the way this recipe turned out. It was so simple to throw together in the crockpot and the flavors were delicious. Life has been so so busy (as usual) and I loved coming home to a meal that had cooked itself all day.
- 1 1/2 pounds beef round steak
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 14 ounces of vegetable, beef, or chicken broth
- 1 envelope italian dressing mix
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- Hoagie buns or a large loaf of french bread
1. Place beef in crockpot. Add green pepper, onions, italian dressing, and broth.
2 . Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
3. Remove beef from crockpot and shred. Add 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and mix well.
4. Spoon meet mixture on to bread and top with a slice of provolone cheese. Place in oven on 375 for a few minutes until cheese is melted.
5. Top with any condiments you usually like on your philly cheesesteaks and enjoy!
Recipe modified from: Group Recipes