I finished my pediatric dental residency three months ago and life is feeling rather surreal. This is the first time in my life that I haven’t been a student and boy does it feel strange. By strange, I really mean freaking amazing!! How the hell did I make it through dental school and residency? I still remember applying to dental school and truly convincing myself that I would never get it in. Sometimes I worry I’ll wake up and it’ll all be dream…
I started life in the real world, aka my first big girl job, a few days after my last day of residency. Talk about jumping right in. As a result, my summer flew by! Time flies when you’re having fun. Hah! Thankfully husband and I were able to take a mini vacation at the end of August. We did a three day cruise to the Bahamas and back. Although it was quick, it was much needed and I am thankful we got the opportunity to go. Not so sure I would do a cruise again, but it was so nice being able to escape life for a few days. I tried to convince husband that we should move to the Bahamas and I could open a practice there. I obvi did not win this argument since I’m currently sitting on my ouch in Ohio.
In the midst of a crazy summer work schedule, I made these Honey Garlic Cornish Hens in the crockpot and they turned out delicious. This is a recipe that I will be making again. You can substitute the Cornish hens for chicken drumsticks, thighs, or breasts. I served these next to some roasted yellow squash and a salad. Try this when you’re looking for a quick, flavorful crockpot recipe!
- 2 Cornish game hens
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional for spice)
1.Place cornish game hens in crockpot.
2.Mix all other ingredients together in a bowl. Pour over hens in crockpot.
3. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Time continues to fly by! How is it already May? Speaking of time flying by, I have officially started my fourth year of dental school! Eeee! It’s a bitter sweet excitement really. Bitter because I have met so many great people in dental school and I am not quite ready to say goodbye, but so so sweet as I have worked so hard to get here. Well… good thing I dont have to deal with these mixed emotions for another year… we’ll just tuck them away for now.
Enough being sentimental and on to a delicious meal!
This is a great crockpot recipe that I have made a couple of times now! I love that all you have to do is throw all the ingredients in the crockpot.
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 1 cup Zesty Italian Dressing
- 1/2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 packet ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 8 ounce can black beans
- 1 medium diced tomato
1. Place all of the ingredients in the crockpot.
2. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
3. Shred chicken and place back in the crockpot for 30 minutes.
4. Serve on hard or soft tacos with shredded cheese, lettuce, tomato, and sour cream.
The time has come…. I’ve officially scheduled to take part one of boards. Now the pressure is on people! June 20th is the lucky day and as I enter boards hell I will be needing many many more meals like this one. Quick and easy (that’s what she said).
I love the way this recipe turned out. It was so simple to throw together in the crockpot and the flavors were delicious. Life has been so so busy (as usual) and I loved coming home to a meal that had cooked itself all day.
- 1 1/2 pounds beef round steak
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 14 ounces of vegetable, beef, or chicken broth
- 1 envelope italian dressing mix
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- Hoagie buns or a large loaf of french bread
1. Place beef in crockpot. Add green pepper, onions, italian dressing, and broth.
2 . Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
3. Remove beef from crockpot and shred. Add 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and mix well.
4. Spoon meet mixture on to bread and top with a slice of provolone cheese. Place in oven on 375 for a few minutes until cheese is melted.
5. Top with any condiments you usually like on your philly cheesesteaks and enjoy!
Recipe modified from: Group Recipes