I spent the afternoon/early evening with some friends from work. My face hurts and my side aches from laughing so hard! Today I was reminded of the importance of having quality time with girlfriends. Since moving to Cincinnati I feel like I have not found a solid group of girlfriends. Why is it so much harder to find close friends as an adult?! These ladies are pretty fantastic and every time we get together outside of work it’s a great time! We literally laughed so hard til we cried… or snorted.
We spent the afternoon drinking wine and baking some delicious lemon cupcakes for a work event tomorrow. After multiple bottles of wine we found ourselves watching/ dancing/singing to music videos. Have you seen the new Gwen Stefani music video? #weird. I am now curled up on the couch in pjs watching the Michigan State vs Iowa football game with Husband.
Tonight I am sharing a recipe for Crockpot Bourbon Chicken. I have made this several times and it is always a big hit, not to mention so easy! If you have followed my blog, you know that I LOVE crockpot recipes. I rely on crockpot recipes to help me get through extra busy weeks.
This recipe called for 1/4 cup of bourbon. I used Bulleit bourbon because that’s what we had, but feel free to use any kind you have on hand! You really can taste the bourbon flavor in this recipe.
Add this recipe to your menu this week on a day when you know you will get home late. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
½ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup Bourbon
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ⅓ cup apple cider (*or apple juice)
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Mix all sauce ingredients, except for chicken and cornstarch, in a small bowl.
2. Place chicken in slow cooker, pour sauce over top. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3 hours.
3. Remove chicken and chop into bite sized pieces. Strain liquid and place over medium high heat in a small pot. Combine 3 tablespoons water with 3 tablespoons cornstarch. Whisk into boiling sauce along with 1 clove minced garlic. Stir until thickened.
4. Pour over chicken pieces in the slow cooker and stir. Serve over rice.