Every time I manage to use bananas that are on their death bed for something delicious, I get super excited. I can proudly reassure myself that the few dollars I spent on those bananas did not go to waste. Great feeling.
A friend gave me the idea to make Banana Oatmeal Cookies, but I didn’t quite have enough oatmeal – so instead I made a bread so that I could use part oatmeal and part flour. This bread turned out delicious, super moist. Also, it’s very easy to throw together!
I have to admit, the original recipe didn’t actually include chocolate chips… I couldn’t help myself. Who doesn’t need a little chocolate in their life?
- 1/2 cup light margarine
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
- 1/4 cup reduced fat milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9×5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
2. Cream together the margarin, brown sugar, and white sugar. Add eggs and vanilla, beat until fluffy.
3. Sift together the flour, oatmeal, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add dry ingredients alternately with bananas and milk. Mix until blended.
4. Fold in chocolate chips and pour into prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes; remove from oven and cover for 5 minutes.