This is a recipe I’ve been itching to make for awhile now and I’m so glad I did! I love stuffed peppers and I thought that turning it in to a soup was such a fun twist on an original stuffed pepper recipe. Not to mention it’s freezing cold here in Ohio and this warmed us right up!
This is a great recipe because I feel like you can make it your own… (Vegetarians – skip the meat; Low carb – skip the rice)! Everyone gave this recipe two thumbs up! Thanks Maryna, Mary, and Husband for being my guinea pigs on this one 🙂
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 3/4 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram (this is a spice that you can find at your local grocery store!)
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, brown ground meat on high heat and season with salt .Drain fat if any, reduce heat to medium-low.
2. Add chopped red and green peppers, onions and garlic.Cook for about 5 minutes on low heat.
3. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, marjoram and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
4. Serve soup bowl and top with desired amount of cooked rice.