Brace yourself for an AWESOME recipe. I made green bell peppers stuffed with ground beef and rice for dinner tonight. Growing up my mama always made these for dinner. She gave me her recipe and I swear I was following it, but mine never turned out as good as hers. The stuffing always dried out. Perhaps I wasn’t putting enough love in to it. But tonight, I had no such problem! I combined my moms recipe with a couple other ones that I found online…mission successful.
- 3 large green peppers
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 can diced tomatoes (8 ounces)
- 1 can tomato sauce (16 ounces)
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper (*optional, added for spice)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used a blend of cheddar and mozzarella)
- Cut tops of green peppers off. Chop off enough of the tops of the green peppers to have 1/4 cup diced green pepper. Remove seeds and membranes from inside of peppers.
- Place whole green peppers in pot of boiling water, uncovered for 5 minutes. Remove from pot and invert on paper towel.
- Heat olive oil in skillet. Brown onions, ground beef and 1/4 cup of chopped green pepper. Drain off excess fat.
- Add 1/2 can of undrained, diced tomatoes, 1/2 can of tomato sauce, rice, water, salt, italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, and black pepper to ground beef mixture in skillet.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat and cover until rice is tender. I used brown rice, so it took about 45 minutes for my rice to cook. (white rice should take ~20 minutes)
- Stir in cheese. Sprinkle salt on inside of green peppers. Stuff peppers with meat and mixture.
- In a casserole dish deep enough to hold green peppers up right, add remaining 1/2 of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of water. This will act as a “bath” for the stuffed peppers to finish cooking in.
- Place stuffed peppers in casserole dish. Sprinkle peppers with a little extra cheese. Cover and bake on 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Dig in and enjoy!