A friend asked me to share an apple pie recipe with her, so here it is 🙂 Let me know how it turns out Mel!
Apple pies can be tricky, the most common problem people face is having a watery pie. The best kind of apple to use to prevent this from happening are Granny Smith apples. Also, adding some cornstarch to the filling helps thicken it up. I’m definitely not a pie expert but here is a recipe that I’ve successfully used several times. Enjoy!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1/2 cup finely ground blanched almonds or almond flour (can substitute 1/2 cup flour if you don’t have almonds)
- 16 Tbsp (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, chilled in freezer for at least 15 minutes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 to 6 Tbsp water, very cold
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 pounds of 1/4-1/2 inch thick slices of peeled and cored good cooking apples, Granny Smith work best
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 large egg yolk (to be brushed on top of pie)
1 In a food processor, combine flour, almonds, salt and brown sugar, pulse to mix. Add butter and pulse 6 to 8 times, until mixture resembles coarse meal, with pea size pieces of butter. Add water 1 Tablespoon at a time, pulsing until mixture just begins to clump together. If you pinch some of the crumbly dough and it holds together, it’s ready, if not, add a little more water and pulse again.
Remove dough from machine and place on a clean surface. Carefully shape into 2 discs. Do not over-knead the dough! You should still be able to see little bits of butter in the dough. These bits of butter are what will allow the result crust to be flaky. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
2 Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 375°F.
3 Combine sugar, flour and spices in large bowl. Use your hands and mix in the apples so they are well coated, then add brandy and vanilla extract.
4 Remove one crust disk from the refrigerator. Let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle some flour on top of the disk. Roll out with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface to a 12 inch circle; about 1/8 of an inch thick. As you roll out the dough, use a metal spatula to check if the dough is sticking to the surface below. Add a few sprinkles of flour if necessary to keep the dough from sticking. Gently fold in half. Place on to a 9-inch pie plate, lining up the fold with the center of the pan. Gently unfold and press down to line the pie dish with the dough.
5 Spoon in apple filling, mounding slightly in center.