I made this for dinner last night and it turned out delicious!! So so yummy. At first when I was reading the ingredients, I thought that it would turn out to be a really heavy casserole, but it wasn’t! However, it’s probably because I used reduced fat ingredients, (the initial instructions called for full fat soups, sour cream, and milk).
You know who even enjoyed it?? Diesel (meet diesel our lab mix!)!! He jumped on the counter and put his nose in a corner of the casserole. Bad, bad dog!! I had to throw out half of it because of him. No worries, he had his tail between his legs and ears tucked down once he saw that mama wasn’t happy.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 6 ounces cooked egg noodles
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed fat-free cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed fat-free cream of chicken soup
- 3/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup of skim milk
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1.5 cups crumbled buttery round crackers ( I used Ritz crackers)
- 1.5 tablespoons margarine
- Vegetables of your choice (I used what I had in my fridge – carrots and mushrooms!)
- Poach chicken in a large pot of simmering water. Cook until no longer pink in center, about 12 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside. Bring chicken cooking water to a boil and cook pasta in it. Drain. Cut chicken into small pieces, and mix with cooked noodles.
- In a separate bowl, mix together mushroom soup, chicken soup, sour cream, and milk. Add vegetables of your choice. Season with salt and pepper. Gently stir together cream soup mixture with the chicken and pasta mixture. Place in a 2 quart baking dish.
- Melt margarin in a small saucepan, and remove from heat. Stir in crumbled crackers. Top casserole with the buttery crackers.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 30 -45 minutes, until heated through and browned on top.