I cannot believe that I have less than 6 weeks left of residency at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital. Eeee! I feel like it was just yesterday that we moved to Cincinnati for this journey and now it’s almost over. Earlier this month I took my pediatric dental board exam and have been in the process of finalizing the details for my job. Once I am done with residency we will be staying in Cincinnati and I will be working at a couple of pediatric dental offices in the area, I cannot wait!
Husband and I are pretty excited about staying in the area; we will be calling Cincinnati home for the time being. One of my favorite things about the area is all of the festivals. With the weather finally warming up, festival season has begun. Wohoo! Last weekend we went to the Asian Food Festival downtown and we ate our way through it. Do not judge. All that food, got in our bellies and everything was delicious.
For dessert we waited in a forever long line for some mediocre bubble tea & a basil mango Street Pop that was on point. Overall Asian Food Fest was a success!
Moving on to todays recipe! Husband was out of town one night so I decided to try a recipe I knew he wouldn’t be too excited about. I’ve been itching to try this sweet potato crusted spinach and feta quiche recipe and it turned out fantastic! The sweetness of the potato and the salty feta were a perfect balance to one another. Also! It reheated really nicely the next day at work. Give this recipe a try, it will not disappoint.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1, 5-ounce bag baby spinach
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 large eggs and 2 large egg whites
- 1.5 ounces crumbled feta cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and thinly slice sweet potatoes. Spray pie dish with cooking spray and layer the dish with sweet potato slices. Lightly season with salt and pepper; spray again with cooking spray and bake in oven for 20 minutes.
2. To prepare the filling, heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sauté spinach for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and allow spinach to cool. Place sautéed spinach mixture over sweet potato crust.
3. Combine milk, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and eggs in a bowl. Pour egg mixture over spinach and top with feta crumbles. Bake in oven for 35 minutes.