Mom: What did you make for dinner tonight?
Me: Lasagna soup
Mom: Ewww. That sounds terrible and soggy.
So maybe I’m crazy and I’m the only one who thinks lasagna soup sounds delicious? Guess what? It was delicious!! It had all the flavors of a lasagna but the lightness of a soup. I loved this recipe. All you lasagna soup doubters out there, should try this recipe. So yummy!
Ingredients for the soup:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 28 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
Ingredients for the cheese:
- 8 ounces reduced fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic until golden yellow. Add ground beef, breaking up into and cook until browned. Drain any excess fat.
2. Add oregano and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes/
3. Add diced tomatoes and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. In separate pot cook egg noodles. Be sure not to over cook as they will end up being soggy in the soup.
5. While the pasta is cooking, prepare the cheesy goodness. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
6. Right before serving, stir in the basil in to the soup and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7. To serve, in a bowl place egg noodles toped with soup. Add a large dollop of the cheesy goodness. Sprinkle some mozzarella on top and ladle the hot soup over the cheese.
Modified from A Farmgirls Dabble