It has been a pretty chaotic couple of weeks here. Not to mention this fantastic (insert sarcasm here) weekend I’m having, where I’m memorizing 150+ drug names that I will never use as a dentist!🙂 I love to learn, I love to learn, I love to learn. (I have to repeat this to myself regularly).
And let me just take a moment and discuss this crazy Ohio weather. This winter has been so strange. Rain, snow and sunshine all in one day? Make up your mind!! It’s just freaking my body out a little. Any one else experiencing the same thing?
Now that I’m done whining, it’s time to talk about this amazing soup recipe! This recipe was inspired by a friend of mine (Thanks, Steph!) and it turned out delicious. Way way better than Panera Breads Broccoli Cheddar soup, seriously. If you love a traditional broccoli cheddar soup, then you will love this recipe! I added the chicken for some protein and it was perfect.
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups reduced fat milk
- 1 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 1/2 cups chopped, lightly steamed broccoli
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
1. Simmer chicken broth and chopped onion for 15-20 minutes in a covered small saucepan, until onions are soft. Heat milk in microwave for 1-2 minutes.
2. In a separate medium-sized stockpot, melt margarine then add flour, salt and pepper. Cook together, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, then whisk in warmed milk. Stir and heat together on medium heat until soup starts to thicken, about 5-8 minutes.
3. Add warmed chicken broth and continue to stir until well blended. Add cheeses and stir until completely melted. Stir in seamed broccoli and chicken. Add more salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
4. Serve immediately in bowls or bread bowls.
Recipe modified from: Mels Kitchen Cafe